BC Hockey announced March 14, 2012 that Chris Tai (Delta, BC) has been named the Major Midget League Player of the Month for February. Tai played an integral role in the Greater Vancouver Canadians push to the playoffs; he appeared in five (5) games in February and only allowed 5 goals on 120 shots.
In a must win game to keep pace in the playoff race, Tai turned in a 28 save shutout against the league best Vancouver North West Giants. In addition to his great on-ice play, his off-ice accolades are just as impressive serving as a peer tutor at the Burnsview Secondary School’s hockey academy.
As well as being named Player of the Month, Tai will receive an exclusive gift from Easton on his selection. He was chosen from a high calibre list of nominees for this prestigious award. The runners up in no particular order are as follows:
- Fraser Valley Bruins – Josh Halpenny
- Vancouver North East Chiefs – Jamie Waddington
- North Island Silvertips – Jordan Levesque
- Cariboo Cougars – Tanner Fjellstrom
- Kootenay Ice – Justin Post
- South Island Thunderbirds – Nic Renyard
- Okanagan Rockets – Colton Thibault
- Valley West Hawks – Danton Heinen
- Vancouver North West Giants – Jarid Lukosevicius
- Thompson Blazers – Brett Watkinson
The BC Hockey Major Midget League was established in 2004 to provide elite level 15, 16 and 17 year olds an opportunity to play within their own age group. Playing at this high level and be developed for the next level of hockey. These teams have an opportunity each year to compete for the National Midget Championship.