Please be advised that the BC Hockey Executive Committee has adopted the following policy
to commence for the 2014-2015 season:
NEW 4.04 Respect In Sport (RIS) Guidelines
RIS is an on-line training course for coaches and sport leaders. It is designed as a tool to assist
in identifying and dealing with abuse, neglect, harassment and bullying in sport.
· The minimum age for participants is sixteen (16) years old as of December 31
· RIS certification expires after four (4) years
The decision to include an expiry date to RIS certification was determined based on the
· The program is on-line and easy for participants to access.
· It is felt that a refresher in the program is critical as new material is constantly being updated
· To enhance education. There are several new curriculum components in Respect in Sport that were not available during the time participants obtained certification in the Speak Out! Program.
These items include:
- Larger section on “the imbalance of Power” and how that leads to all forms of maltreatment
- Legislative changes since 1999, including age of consent
- Long-term Athlete Development
- Leadership styles
- Enhanced section on Hazing
- Child Exploitation
- Concussion Awareness
- New Head Contact Rule
- Return to Play Guidelines
- Managing injuries
In order to ensure that each Member Association, Team and League is prepared for the above
noted adjustment, the policy will not be implemented until the 2014-2015 season.
Should you have any questions please contact your District or Divisional Director.