We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia
BC High School Hockey League
The 2007 BC Hockey Summit produced “Cooperate with the School System to introduce hockey to all students in BC” as one of the most important growth initiative for BC Hockey. One strong recommendation from the Summit groups was; “BC Hockey to become involved in BC School Sports/ High School hockey”
To grow the game of ice hockey by providing a province wide High School league that is separate of the existing Minor Hockey season but which compliments and benefits both the High School and Minor Hockey systems in British Columbia.
- To act as a platform for all high schools to develop and maintain hockey programs within their athletic departments.
- To allow schools to compete against one another in an organized league. Future opportunities lead to the declaration of BC Champions.
- To provide the players with a new experience that is unique from what they would receive through minor hockey with minimal interference with existing BC Hockey programming.
- To assist the development of BC athletes.
- To provide post-season options for BC Hockey players.
In our Schools Program
BC Hockey is committed to being the best at doing the most for all students to experience life’s learning outcomes through a hockey component that complements the Ministry of Education, Health and Education Curriculum. It is through this commitment that BC Hockey has developed a curriculum that can be introduced into classrooms throughout the country. The curriculum encourages participation in and appreciation of Canada’s national game while promoting healthy living.
Purpose of the Program
Practicality of the Program
The following resources have been prepared by BC Hockey to assist schools in the implementation of the BC Hockey In Our Schools program. BC Hockey through the BC Sports Participation Program supplies these resources free of charge in hope that this type of programming is made available to all students in BC.
It is the intention of BC Hockey to continue to update these resources based on feedback received from schools, teachers and hockey organizations in the province.
Two (2) of the documents, the On-Ice Operations and Curriculum and the Gym Based manual, require users to “sign-in” prior to access. This process was developed in order to track users or potential users of the program. Our purpose is to:
- Actively assist those with interest in the program as well as to keep them informed as materials and opportunities become available and
- to track statistical data on programs being conducted.
BC Hockey wishes you success with the implementation of the BC Hockey In Our Schools program. Hockey has an impressive background in our province and we believe hockey would be a welcome addition to any school curriculum!